Thursday, September 27, 2018

Bumblebuzz, Rosalie K. Fry's first book




Bumblebuzz, Rosalie K. Fry’s first in a long illustrious line of children's titles, is a 20-page picture book about an anthropomorphic bumble bee who meets some new friends and gains a roommate. Simple enough, but as a Fry fan, I was fascinated to see in this little book a few seeds of Fry’s future work, especially her crème de la crème, The Secret of Ron Mor Skerry, published in 1957, nineteen years after Bumblebuzz.


Bumblebuzz lives in the roots of a tree and is befriended by two beetles, a snail, and a ladybird. All of Fry's books prominently feature some aspect of nature (not surprising considering Fry's bucolic childhood) . This is magically true in Ron Mor Skerry where the protagonist, Fiona, discovers a selkie in her family tree and learns that nature has powerfully impacted her immediate family as well.

Colorized Rosalie K. Fry Sketch. From The Secret of Ron Mor Skerry

After setting up the premise—Bumblebuzz is busy but lonely—Fry introduces the other tiny creatures who knock on Bumblebuzz’s door and ask if they can build a house on her field. When their new thatched roof house is demolished in a rain storm, Bumblebuzz suggests they rehab a deserted house around the corner from her, in the roots of the same tree. This activity winds up solving two problems: the homeless insects (and the crustacean) have a home and, as one of them moves in with Bumblebuzz, she is no longer lonely. 




Most of Fry’s books feature children solving problems by joining forces in a very similar way. In Ron Mor Skerry. Fiona, the protagonist, and her cousin, Rory, take it upon themselves to restore their family's abandoned, decaying cottages on Ron Mor Skerry to their original coziness, a prerequisite action for the story’s magical denouement.


From The Secret of Ron Mor Skerry

Bumblebuzz is a charming look at the first attempt of a beloved children’s author and a fascinating window into her future work. 




3 comments:

  1. Hello Kathryn! :)
    Beauiful review of this book. I am looking for a copy of Bumblebuzz to buy as a surprise birthday gift for my best friend who lives in California, I am in Australia! :)Im not having much luck though unfortunately. I was just wondering if you have a copy of this book you would be willing to sell? Feel free to contact me back at kasedilla77@gmail.com if you can help me out! :)
    Thanks for your time!
    ~ Kasey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry--for some reason I'm not alerted to comments. No, I had to ask my librarian to find me the copy I used for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it is a very easy book to find. I lucked out. When I finally found my copy of Child of the Western Isles in a job lot a few years ago there was a copy of Bumblebuzz as well as The Mountain Door. Bumblebuzz still has its dust jacket, although it was in two pieces before I did a little repair work on it. The book itself is still quite sound.

    ReplyDelete