Monday, January 30, 2012

Who was Rosalie K. Fry?

I’ve wanted to write a blog post on Ms. Fry, the author of the achingly beautiful story The Secret of Roan Inish ever since I realized that the lovely film was based on a book.  Try Googling her, though, and nothing comes up but the titles of her books.  For some odd reason the University of Southern Mississippi has her “papers” and their website condenses her biographical facts into two short sentences: “Rosalie K. Fry was born in Vancouver, Canada, and lived as an adult in England and Wales. She attended school in Wales and in London at the Central School of Arts.”

The Wales thing and the art school thing explain a lot but only through inference.  I thought perhaps purchasing a collection of her books might shed some light but some of those little gems are pricey and I ended up with only two, A Bell for Ringblume and Snowed Up.  I haven’t read them yet – three time-heavy non-fiction projects got in the way; plus I’d like to purchase more before jumping headfirst into Fry’s world – but the back cover of Ringblume, copyrighted 1957, offers some interesting info:

“This author was born on Vancouver Island.  She makes her home in Swansea, South Wales.  During World War II she was stationed in the Orkney Islands, where she was employed as a Cypher Officer in the Women’s Royal Service.  She has written many stories and executed many drawings for a variety of children’s magazines in Great Britain.  She is also known as a maker of children’s toys.  Her books, which she has also illustrated, have included: Bumblebuzz; Lady Bug! Lady Bug!; Bandy Boy’s Treasure Island; Pipkin Sees the World; Cinderella’s Mouse and other Fairy Tales; and The Wind Call.”

My non-fiction young adult book, published last year, features heroic WWII women so when I read of Fry's wartime work I immediately gave a hearty huzzah for her. Like so many other women of the time, she obviously put her immediate endeavors on hold indefinitely in order to do battle with Fascism.

Also interesting is that some of these books listed on the back of Ringblume are not included in the official box of “papers.” What happened to them?  I will have to wait another day to find out because though my interest in Ms. Fry has not diminished, additional non-fiction projects have found their way to my plate so it will be a while before I can return to my search for the person who set aside the creation of lovely worlds in order to decode for king and country.



http://www.lib.usm.edu/~degrum/html/research/findaids/fry,rosalie.htm

25 comments:

  1. Wow, this is fascinating. I loved the film version of The Secret of Roan Inish growing up (and I still do), but I never knew it was based on a literary work. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this! Would love to know if you find out more about her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have actually, thanks to another blog reader, and I plan to write up the information he's graciously given me when I finish a different and very intense writing project.

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Secret of the Ron Mor Skerry yesterday morning, after it arrived via ILL from a library in Maine. Risky of them to lend it, but glad they did. Great book. My daughter (now 24) and I watch John Sayles' movie The Secret of Roan Inish every year or two, but after reading the book, I just bought a copy of it online for myself. It's really quite good. The movie is very true to the story (Sayles is a wonderful film-maker), but the original story is even more innocent and child-like, and Fry's line drawings are simple and touching. Good luck with your research on her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Ron Mor Skerry's are pricey, aren't they? I'll have to break down one of these days (or else contact that trusting and generous Maine library as you did!).

    Thanks so much for commenting and Happy New Year to you and your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Secret of the Ron Mor Skerry was one of two books I read as a child, which had a magical quality that I never quite forgot. (The other was Elizabeth Goudge's Smoky-house.) I would love to buy a copy of the original hard cover, but they are too pricey for me. I do have a copy of the paperback movie tie in book, which at least includes the text, but not the original illustrations. My main grump about the movie was the location change from the west coast of Scotland to the west coast of Ireland. Never could quite understand why they did that, unless it was perhaps because an Irish company co-produced it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. As an American I wouldn't have caught that location change. Thanks for posting.

      Delete
  7. Hello from Vancouver Island! My name is Janet MacDonald, and my Mother and I have a copy of Rosalie Fry's children's book, "The Mountain Door". It was written by Miss Fry in 1960, and published both in the US and Canada in 1961. It is such a wonderful little story about a little girl in Ireland, who runs away from home to find the Faerie folk, and a great stone door up in the mountains. The story is charming, and I loved her illustrations! Mother loves to read that book over and over! I think it is very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a lovely story -- I'll have to check it out. Thanks very much for commenting, Janet! I think we have the beginnings of a fan club here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi from Wisconsin, Kathryn! The book you wrote (mentioned above) sounds wonderful- can I buy it on Amazon? I absolutely love "The Secret of Roan Inish" and hope to be able to read it's 'mother book' written by Rosalie K Fry one day- but you are right, they are very expensive. I can't figure out why that is. Have you ever seen the movie, 'A Child's Christmas in Wales' based on the story by Dylan Thomas? I love it as much as I do Roan Inish. If you haven't seen it, please check it out. You can see the whole thing (as of today anyway!) on youtube. The person who put it up is jonoldboy and the youtube title is exactly the same as the movie title. I think you would love it! I watch it every Christmas season, without fail. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know what, Jacque, I've heard much about that story & film but have never seen it. I'll definitely have to check it out now!

    Yes, my book is on Amazon -- Women Heroes of WWII. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She was also a book illustrator and illustrated many children's books, including "The Water Babies".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there,
    Wondering if anyone out there can help. My writing partner and I are developing "secret of the ron mor skerry" into a musical and are seeking the rights. Does anyone out there know who manages Rosalie K. Fry's estate? It's been an impossible search so far!

    Many thanks for any leads...
    -Kate Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  13. You might want to contact someone from the film since they must have received the rights from someone. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved the secret of Roah Inish as a child (then published as Child of the Western Isles). I also,loved the three books about Lucinda, of which a Bell for Ringelblume is the first

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to read them--already own Ringelblume but have never read!

      Delete
  15. Hi. I just found a copy of 'Pipkin the Woodmouse' in a charity shop today - lovely book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi. I just found a copy of 'Pipkin the Woodmouse' in a charity shop today - lovely book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a point of information, the book's original title was "Child of the Western Isles" (J M Dent, 1957, price 10/6!) and the story is set in Scotland, not Ireland. I have had a copy of this book for years and love the story - but on looking for a second copy, found that not only was the title very rare but the sole copy I did find was priced at over £400! the translation to a new title and subsequent film is, I suppose, typical of the (American in this case)film world. I am pleased to say that the transition has been very successful and the film/DVD very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A kind fellow Fry fan sent me my own copy of "Child of the Western Isles." As a gift. Still not over it! I thought the film was excellent too. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Does anyone know if Rosalie was of Scottish or Irish descent? I was amazed at her photo,she looked like me. Facial features that I thought came from my native American grandmother may have come from my father's side instead. Thank you for writing about her and for the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the enormous delay. I'm not sure myself, but that's a great question.

      Delete